bloggerguestpost
Image default
Gadgets

Types of light bulbs,consumption

Types of light bulbs: consumption, useful life and advantages

The lighting of a house can be an art, but also a hole in your pocket. You need to know the different types of light bulbs to save and give your home that touch that makes a difference.

Approximately 20% of your home’s electricity consumption corresponds to lighting. Or what is the same: for every 100 euros of energy, 20 are for what your light bulbs spend.

We remember light bulbs ( and who invented them ) when they burn out and need to be replaced. When going to buy a new one, we also remember that they have a price, very variable depending on the type we choose.

To this is added of course the electrical consumption, also very variable. In each of your electricity bills there is a part that is explained (for better or worse) by the type of light bulbs you have put.

How to choose a light bulb?

This question does not have a single answer and depends in part on personal tastes , but it is essential to review aspects such as intensity, useful life, performance and consumption:

incandescent bulbs
Advantages: they are the traditional ones. Their manufacture has been banned in the European Union since 2012, but they are still found in stores. Some people consider that their light is warmer and more familiar, but their great asset is the price: they are the cheapest on the market.
Disadvantages: if manufacturing was prohibited, it was due to their not very ecological profile, since they have a short useful life (over 1,000 hours) and a high consumption of electricity. Of all the energy they spend, only 5% is for lighting, losing the remaining 95% in heat.

halogen bulbs

Advantages: small, they turn on instantly and have great lighting capacity. Powerful light , ideal for working or focusing on specific points. They consume around 40% less than incandescent ones.
Disadvantages: their main drawback is that they emit a lot of heat . To work perfectly they need a readjustment of the current and the installation of a 12 or 24 volt transformer. Its useful life, around 3,000 hours, can be improved.

Energy saving lightbulbs

Advantages: they last about 15,000 hours and use very little (approximately 80% less than incandescent ones). In addition, they have a high lighting efficiency.
Disadvantages: it is better not to place them in rooms where they are turned on and off many times, since they would melt before. They take a few seconds to fully shine . For both reasons, it is recommended not to use them in transit areas. They are expensive , although profitable in the long run.

LED bulbs

Advantages: they are the most ecological on the market, since they do not contain tungsten or mercury. They last about 50,000 hours (you could have them on for 5 years in a row) and consume around 80% less than incandescent ones. They practically do not emit heat. .
Disadvantages: their only problem is that, compared to the rest, they have a high price . Although they are profitable in the long run, it will be an economic inconvenience every time they have to be changed.
“20% of the electricity consumption of a house is due to light bulbs.”
What to look for when buying a light bulb
Once weighed the pros and cons of each type, there are other very important aspects.

The main one is the bulb socket , since if you make a mistake in this you will have made a totally useless purchase. The size of the thread you need is listed both on the box and printed on the glass of the bulb. The most common are the E27 (the wide thread of all life), the E14 (the narrow thread of all life) and the GU10 (instead of a thread it has two small protrusions), but in stores you will find more than one ten different caps.

In order of importance (once you know that the bulb will fit in the socket), follow the consumption of each model . It is expressed in watts (W): the higher it is, the more it will weigh on the variable part of your electricity bill.

Another issue is the color . Although they are generally shades of white, there are also shades of yellow. These details are crucial to set a room.

 

What light bulbs to put in your house?

It all depends on your needs and tastes. In general, the following could be recommended:

Rooms where the light usually spends many hours on (living room, kitchen): you can opt for LED and/or low consumption ones.
Passing places where the light turns on and off often, but without staying on: in this case the halogens show off all their advantages.
“LED bulbs for lights that are on for a long time. Halogens, for passageways.”

Related posts

Main features of Wireless Headphones

mounika

Universal Laptop Power Adapter

mounika

Leave a Comment